Tinchuley Tour – Hidden Treasure of West Bengal
Do you feel like going to the mountains after sitting at home for two years? But where to go in this Covid situation? Is that what you are thinking? So we have come up with an offbeat for you, where you will find free air. For at least three or four days you don’t have to obey the rules, because this place is much more isolated from the crowded urban environment. And the name of this place is Tinchuley.
The word Chula means the furnace or oven. This village is surrounded by three small hills and forests. From a distance, its decoration looks like a furnace or oven. That is why this village has been named Tinchuley. The solitary green beauty is its USP.
- An imaginary world in the heart of the mountains. Tinchuley is located at an altitude of 5800 feet, just 32 km from Darjeeling. Pine and cedar forests in the middle of the tea garden. Tinchuley is divided into upper, middle, and lower. There are tea gardens at the foot of the hill along the winding pitch road.
- You will never forget seeing Darjeeling in the distance under the starry night sky. Kanchenjunga on a full moon night is also wonderful. And in the daylight, you will be fascinated by the beauty of Rangli, Rangliat, Teesta Valley, Namring, Gumbadara View Point, Lovers Meat View Point, Orchid Garden, etc.
How to Reach Tinchuley?
- By Train: To reach Tinchuley village by train, you can board a train to New Jalpaiguri Junction (NJP to Tinchuley Distance 70 Km). From the stations, you can book a private car which takes about 2.30-3 hours to reach depending on the road condition.
Darjeeling to Tinchuley distance 32 km. It will take 1.5 hours from Darjeeling to Tinchuley by car.
Kalimpong to Tinchuley Distance 30km. It will take about 1.5 hours from Kalimpong to Tinchuley by car.
- By Flight: To reach Tinchuley by flight, you can board a flight to Bagdogra Airport (Bagdogra to Tinchuley Distance 74.3 Km). You can rent a car from Bagdogra to Tinchuley.
- By Shared Car: Occasional shared taxis/Jeeps are available from Siliguri to Takdah. From Takdah you will need to take a private taxi (like a Maruti van) for a short drive up to Tinchuley.
Things To Do in Tinchuley
Sunrise Point and Monastery: It is located within walking distance from Gurung Guest House. The two sides of the road are decorated with mantra flags. Explore the diversity of the Himalayas, the Teesta Valley, Kalimpong, and parts of East and South Sikkim along with the beautiful sunshine. You must enter the monastery once you return to see the sunrise. It is said that a Buddhist monk meditated in this sacred cave for 18 consecutive years. Spend some time, and start the day with mental peace.
- Gumbadara Rock and Gumbadara View Point: Its location is towards Peshak Tea Garden. This mountain has a history of 200 years. It is heard that many caves are located at the bottom of it, most of which are now inaccessible. The locals believe that at one time Buddhist lamas used to visit the cave. Many say that British soldiers used to come to this mountain for training. If you trek uphill, you will be greeted by pine forests, breathtaking Kanchenjunga, Peshak Tea Gardens, and impeccable scenery all around.
- Pine Forest: On the left side of the road from Gurung Guest House to Gumbadara View Point, a road leads to Pine Forest. You can visit here at any time of the day. Do not miss the ‘Pine Trail’ in any way, otherwise, the trip will be incomplete. Ideal place for bird watching.
- You can see the wonderful sunrise from Tinchuley View Point and you can enjoy the breathtaking view of the golden light over Kanchenjunga. From here you can also get a panoramic view of Kalimpong and the Teesta valley.
- You can also visit many viewpoints nearby. I have written about everything in detail in Takdah’s post.
Where to Stay in Tinchuley Village?
You can find several homestays and guesthouses in Tinchuley. You can book them over the phone or face-to-face. Before you go there I will suggest you speak with one of them at least once. It will cost around 1200-1500 per day to stay there depending upon the season.
You will get all kinds of benefits in homestays. You will find hot water, breakfast, lunch, and a clean bathroom. At the same time, you will get the hospitality and love of the people there.
Some Popular Guest Houses of Tinchuley:
1. Tinchuley Ratna Vajra Vatika Resort
2. Gurung’s Guesthouse
3. Abiraj Homestay
4. Rye Resort
5. Kusum Homestay
Cost To Travel Tinchuley Village
- From NJP- From NJP you can reach Tinchuley in two ways.
i) You can rent a private car from NJP to Tinchuley. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
ii) If you have a low budget then you can go to a share jeep. In that case, your cost will be reduced a lot. In this case, you need to reach Takdah first. You can take a shared car from Darjeeling or Siliguri to Takdah. It will cost around 200 to 250 rupees per head. From Takdah you will need to take a private taxi for a short drive up to Tinchuley.
From Darjeeling, you can get buses up to Takdah (which leaves in the afternoon).
- From Bagdogra:
You can reach Tinchuley from Bagdogra same as From NJP. You can rent a private car from Bagdogra also. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
Best Time To Visit Tinchuley
Tinchuley should be planned between October and April. This is the time when the sky remains clear. The beauty of the hills and valleys becomes clearer during this time. November to February would be very cold in Tinchuley.
Things to Carry While Travelling To Tinchuley
- A travel bag.
- A torch.
- A slipper.
- Travel shoes
- Plastic for keeping wet things.
- Dry food as needed
- Soap paper
- clothes according to the weather.
- Necessary Medicines.
- Camera For Taking Pictures of Breathtaking Beauty.
Important Information About Tinchuley
- You can go to Tinchule at any time of the year except during the rainy season. December to February are cold.
- Any drug store or ATM is not available in Tinchuley. For that, you have to go to Takdah. Although homestays serve plenty of food, you can keep dry food like cakes and biscuits with you.
- Credit or debit card payments cannot be made at most homestays, so keep enough cash with you.
- It is suggested not to take a shared taxi from NJP because even if you can go to Teesta Bazaar, not many local jeeps will go to Tinchul from there.
Tinchuley Tour Plan
3 Night 4 Day Tinchuley Takdah Tour Plan:
Arrival at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus (Junction) and transfer to Tinchuley / Takdah
Day 2: Tinchuley / Takdah Local Sightseeing.
Day 3: Tinchuley / Takdah Local Sightseeing.
Day 4: Departure Transfer to Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Siliguri
Some Important Places For Sightseeing From Tinchuley and Takdah:
1. Gumbadara Viewpoint 2. Gumba Dara Cave Point 3. Tinchuley View Point 4. Six tea gardens 5. Lovers View Point 6. Takdah Bazaar 7. Tinchuley Monastery 8. Takdah Monastery 9. Orchid Hous 10. Heritage bungalows of the British period
Frequently Asked Questions About Tinchuley
What is the best time to visit Tinchuley?
Tinchuley should be planned between October and April. This is the time when the sky remains clear. The beauty of the hills and valleys becomes clearer during this time.
What is the distance between NJP and Tinchuley?
NJP to Tinchuley Distance is 70 Km.
What is the distance between Darjeeling and Tinchuley?
Tinchuley is just 32km away from Darjeeling.
What is Tinchuley famous for?
Tinchuley is famous for its Gumbadara Rock and Gumbadara View Point, Pine Forest, Breathtaking view of Kanchenjunga, and many more attractions.
What is the best way to reach Tinchuley?
NJP to Tinchuley Distance 70 Km. From the stations, one can book a private car which takes about 2.30-3 hours to reach depending on the road condition.
Is any shared car available from NJP to Tinchuley?
If you want to reach Tinchuley by shared car, you need to reach Takdah first. You can take a shared car from Darjeeling or Siliguri to Takdah. It will cost around 200 to 250 rupees per head. From Takdah you will need to take a private taxi for a short drive up to Tinchuley.
Is Mt. Kanchenjunga visible from Tinchuley?
Yes, Mt Kanchenjunga is visible from Tinchuley. You can enjoy the breathtaking view of Kanchenjunga from Tinchuley.
What is the best time to see the Orchids on Tinchuley Trip?
Within 3Kms of Tinchuley, you can visit Takdah Orchid House. The best time to visit the orchid house is from February to April.
The hypnosis of the hill bends, the light-darkness of the pine forest, the rhythmic sound of waterfalls, the morning wrapped with fog, the frosty wind, the sweet sound of the different birds, the night sky, the gentle hospitality of the people – Tinchuley is all of this.
If you want to forget about your busy office life, the tension of the test, the complexities of the world, or relationship issues then visit Tinchuley.
Leave No Trace: Respect the natural environment and follow the Leave No Trace principles. Dispose of waste responsibly, return any non-biodegradable items, and avoid littering. Respect the flora, fauna, and local communities by walking lightly and leaving little impact on the environment.
If you like this writing and information then bookmark this blog and if you want you can follow us on Facebook and Instagram. You can also keep the push notification of this website on so you will get notifications on mobile when new posts come.
If you have any comments on this article, please let me know. If you want, you can also send me any necessary message through this form. Stay well. Thanks so much for reading this post.