Sitong Tour – Hidden Treasure of West Bengal
When Bengalis think of traveling in the mountains, the first thing that comes to their mind is Darjeeling. But times are changing, new generations are finding new places to travel. Sitong is waiting for tourists in Darjeeling with such a captivating hill nature. Sitong is also called the land of oranges by many.
Sitong is just eight kilometers from Mongpu, the famous city of Darjeeling, and just 13 kilometers from the Mahananda Sanctuary. This small village is formed in the basin of the hill river Riyang in Darjeeling. Sitong at an altitude of 4,000 feet above sea level in the eastern part of the Darjeeling Hills, it is also part of the Terai. The village of Sitong is surrounded by Kurseong, Kalimpong, Sikkim, and Bhutan.
Why To Go Sitong?
- Sitong is a Lepcha town surrounded by mountains and covered with greenery. Another new address in the Orange Valley. This small area in the Kurseong subdivision is now a new tourist attraction. Homestay services are also available.
- Sitong is eight and a half kilometers from Mongpu. On the way, you will see the Riang River. Locals’ favorite picnic spot is across the Riang River. The river originates from a nearby waterfall. The water in the river is low but the speed is good. You have to cross and go to the other side. After that, you have to cross some ups and downs and reach Sitong. On the way, you will see orange orchards on both sides. You will see different sizes of oranges, some are green, some are orange, and some are yellow.
- Although the main attraction of Sitong is the orange orchard, the weather here is cool and humid all the time of the year. Cinchona is also cultivated here. Like Mongpu, it is famous for Cinchona cultivation. Large cardamom is also cultivated here. You will find all kinds of vegetables there.
How to Reach Sitong?
There are three ways to reach Sitong. The first is from Siliguri-Sevoke-Latpanchar. The distance between Siliguri to Sitong via Latpanchar is 55km. Second route is from Siliguri-Rambhi-Mongpoo. The distance between Siliguri to Sitong via Mungpoo is 78 km. The last route is through Kurseong-Dilaram-Bagora-Ghareytar. The distance between Kurseong to Sitong via Ghareytar is 75km.
- By Train: Lots of trains going from Sealdah to New Jalpaiguri. Some of the special ones are Darjeeling Mail, North Bengal Express, New Jalpaiguri Express, Padatik Express, and Kanchanakanya Express. All these trains leave at night and arrive the next morning. Those who want to go in the morning can catch the Kanchenjunga Express, it arrives in the evening.
NJP to Sitong Distance is 31 Km. From the stations, you can book a private car which takes about 2.30-3 hours to reach depending on the road condition.
For your Information:
Darjeeling to Sitong distance 53 Km.
Kalimpong to Sitong Distance 90 km.
- By Flight: To reach Sitong by flight, you can board a flight to Bagdogra Airport (Bagdogra to Sitong Distance 35.2 Km). You can rent a car from Bagdogra to Sitong.
- By Shared Car: You can get a shared jeep from Siliguri to Kurseong and then take a local car or taxi to Sitong.
Things To Do in Sitong
- Sitong Orange Valley – Who doesn’t like to eat oranges, but if you eat those oranges directly from the tree, then its pleasure is different. The main attraction of Sitong is the orange orchard here, in the month of November-January you will see the orange fruit here.
- Sitong is basically a Khas mahal, the area is made up of many small villages. The history of living is quite ancient. There is a century-old cave made of bamboo and soil. The cave is in the Upper Sitting. You have to trek. You can experience a great view of Kanchenjunga from here.
- There is also a very ancient church. It was also made of bamboo and clay before. Recently renovated pucca building. However, due to the use of old architecture, the ancient form of the church has been preserved.
- Yogighat – The Yogighat Bridge, built of steel, connects the two villages of Mongpu and Sitong. It is built on the Riyang River. It is a tourist destination in the Sitong area where many tourists go to see this beautiful steel bridge and the greenery around it.
- Latpanchar & Ahaldara – Latpanchar is a new tourist destination located at an altitude of 5,000 feet above sea level in the hilly region of Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. It is later in the Kurseong division of the Darjeeling district.
- Maldiram or Mahaldiram – This is a famous tea garden in the Kurseong region, surrounded by clouds and fog. With located about 6000 feet above sea level.
- Mongpu Tagore’s House – The home of world-famous poet Rabindranath Tagore, not so far from Sitong, you can visit this place if you want. Also here is the plantation of the cinchona tree and the factory for making quinine from it.
- Namthing Pokhri – An ancient reservoir located at Selpu Hill, it stays dry for 6 months of the year except for the monsoon season. A rare species of Himalayan Salamander can be found in this Namthing pond. You will also find different species of birds and butterflies here. This place is not too far from Ahaldara. You can reach here on foot.
Where to Stay in Sitong?
You can find several homestays and guesthouses in Sitong. You can book them over the phone or face to face. Before you go there I will suggest you speak with one of them at least once. There are also three very nice new cottages in the upper seating.
You will get all kinds of benefits in homestays. You will find hot water, breakfast, lunch, and a clean bathroom. At the same time, you will get the hospitality and love of the people there.
Some Popular Homestay of Sitong:
1. Bisesh Homestay Sitong (Phone: 9851166076)
2. Mukhiya Homestay, Yogighat (Phone: 9733283984)
3. Ryang Homestay (9830027451)
4. Ctong Homestay (7908152232/9647824055)
Cost To Travel Sitong
- From NJP- From NJP you can reach Sitong in two ways.
i) You can rent a private car from NJP to Sitong. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
ii) If you have a low budget then you can go to a share jeep. In that case, your cost will be reduced a lot. In this case, You can get a shared jeep from Siliguri to Kurseong and then take a local car or taxi to Sitang.
- From Bagdogra:
You can reach Sitong from Bagdogra same as From NJP. You can rent a private car from Bagdogra also. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
It will cost you around 1200-1500 per day to stay in Homestay. These fares may vary depending on the season. With each Homestay cost, you will get Breakfast, Launch, Evening Snacks, and Dinner Included.
Best Time To Visit Sitong
The best time to visit Sitong is from November to February when you will see oranges in the trees throughout the village. That’s why Sitong’s another name for Orange Valley.
For those who want to experience the view of Kanchenjunga, it is better to avoid the rainy season.
Things to Carry While Travelling To Sitong
- A travel bag.
- A torch.
- A slipper.
- Travel shoes
- Plastic for keeping wet things.
- Dry food as needed
- Soap paper
- clothes according to weather.
- Necessary Medicines.
- Camera For Taking pictures of Breathtaking beauty.
Important Information About Sitong
- Although homestays serve plenty of food, you can keep dry food like cakes and biscuits with you.
- Credit or debit card payments cannot be made at most homestays, so keep enough cash with you.
- It is better to keep the necessary medicines with you but if you feel ill suddenly, the doctor is available there.
- Mobile Network is available there.
- Carry at least one ID proof with you.
- If you want to go in winter, you need to book the hotel in advance.
Suggested Sitong Tour Plan
5 Night 6 Days Sitong Lamahatta Chatakpur Tour Plan:
Arrival at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus (Junction) and transfer to Sitong.
Day 2: Sitong Sightseeing Tour.
Day 3: Transfer From Sitong To Lamahatta.
Day 4: Full-day Lamahatta Sightseeing Tour.
Day 5: Transfer to Chatakpur.
Day 6: Departure Transfer to Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Siliguri
For more information, you can Visit This Website.
Frequently Asked Question About Sitong
What is the best time to see the Oranges on Sitong Trip?
To see oranges, one can visit Sitong from November to February. During that time you will see oranges in the trees throughout the village. That’s why Sitong’s another name for Orange Valley.
Can we watch Bird during Sitong Trip?
The area is very famous for birds, a large variety of birds can be found here. The Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is nearby so is the now-famous birding hotspot of Latpanchar.
Is Mt. Kanchenjunga visible from Sitong?
On a sunny day, you can easily enjoy the clear view of Kanchenjunga from here.
Is any shared car available from NJP to Sitong?
You can get a shared jeep from Siliguri to Kurseong and then take a local car or taxi to Sitong.
What is the best way to reach Sitong?
From Siliguri / NJP/ Bagdogra you can book any private car. It will take 2.5 hours to 3 hours to reach Sitong depending upon the road condition.
What is Sitong famous for?
Sitong is famous for its Orange gardens, greenery, hilly view, and many more attractive places around it.
What is the distance between Darjeeling and Sitong?
Sitong is just 53km away from Darjeeling.
What is the distance between NJP and Sitong?
Sitong is just 31 km away from NJP.
What is the best time to visit Sitong?
The best time to visit Sitong is from November to February when you will see oranges in the trees throughout the village.
Sitong is a suitable place to enjoy nature in solitude and to spend time free from worries. If you want to spend time with family in the midst of nature’s grace, come to this different little village, I promise you will not be disappointed.
Special Note: Don’t leave dirt and plastic in the mountains. Keep the mountains clean by thinking of the people living in the mountains and the mountain-loving people like you and me so that they can travel in the mountains for the next few thousand years. Remember that whatever you give to the environment you will get back one day.
If you like this writing and information then bookmark this blog and if you want you can follow us on Facebook and Instagram. You can also keep the push notification of this website on so you will get notifications on mobile when new posts come.
If you have any comments on this article, please let me know. If you want, you can also send me any necessary message through this form. Stay well. Thanks so much for reading this post.