Samsing Tour – How To Reach, Where to Stay
Samsing is a small hilly village in Samsing Matiyali Block of Jalpaiguri in the Indian state of West Bengal. The village is situated at an altitude of 3000 feet at the foot of the Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling district border.
This town is still little known to tourists. A couple of days can be spent just watching the birds in Samsing. If you want you can visit some nearby places from Samsing. You can visit Rocky Island from here. Neora Valley is also not far from here. Various types of animals live in this national park.
Why To Go Samsing?
- At a height of about 3000 feet, you will see this beautiful valley. Instead of pine, you will find huge groves of Shal, Shimul here. You will see an orange grove in Samsing. A special orange festival is held here in winter.
- What attracts more in bird watching is the ever-quiet environment that still preserves the green and wild habitat. The melodious chirping of colorful birds in the serene and silent scenery really provides a refreshing break from city life. Some of the major bird species you will find here include Ashy Bulbul, Slaty Backed Forktail, Orange-bellied Leafbird, Tailed Drongo, Maroon Oriole, Long-tailed Sibia, and many more.
How to Reach Samsing?
- By Train: Lots of trains going from Sealdah to New Jalpaiguri. Some of the special ones are Darjeeling Mail, North Bengal Express, New Jalpaiguri Express, Padatik Express, and Kanchanakanya Express. All these trains leave at night and arrive the next morning. Those who want to go in the morning can catch the Kanchenjunga Express, it arrives in the evening.
Siliguri to Samsing Distance 82 Km. From the stations, you can book a private car which takes about 2.30-3 hours to reach depending on the road condition.
Another Route: New Mal Junction is the closest railway station of Samsing. You can reach New Mal Junction first. From there, Samsung is 30 km via Meteli. You can book any car and reach Samsing.
- By Flight: To reach Samsing by flight, you can board a flight to Bagdogra Airport (Bagdogra to Samsing Distance 95 Km). You can rent a car from Bagdogra to Samsing. It will take around 2.30-3 hours to reach there depending upon the road condition.
- By Shared Car: Buses are available from Siliguri to Samsing. But only two buses run throughout the day. If you don’t want to go by bus, you can take any bus up to Chalsa. From there, you can reach Samsing with a reserved car. The distance from Chalsa to Samsing is 18 km.
Things To Do in Samsing
- You can visit Khasmahal, a beautiful village in Samsing, is full of orange groves and during the harvest season, the entire village glows with a wonderful shade of orange.
- Gorumara National Park is located 30km from Samsing. It is a famous tourist spot in Dooars. While staying in Samsing Forest Rest House, one can include Gorumara National Park in the plan. Gorumara National Park is a medium size park famous for its One-Horned Rhinoceros. Tourists can experience Jungle Safari and spot the majestic One-Horned Rhinoceros here.
- After crossing Khasmahal village, you will see the Murthy River at Samsing. The view of the sparkling river flowing in the mountain valley will is absolutely amazing. Rocky Island, located on the Murthy River, one and a half to two kilometers away from Samsing, is now quite popular.
- There are many picnic spots and amazing sightseeing spots for tourists in and around Samsing. Some of these are Lali-Guras, Rocky Island, and Santali Khola.
- The Neora Valley National Park is an hour’s drive from here. You can do adventure treks from Santali Khola to Neora Valley National Park. But you must take permission from the forest department to enter the park.
Where to Stay in Samsing?
West Bengal Forest Development Corporation Ltd (WBFDC) has built a Nature Education and Wilderness Resort in Samsing. One can experience the panoramic view of tea gardens and daunting hills while staying here. It is the most preferred place to stay in Samsing. You can Book WBFDC Resort Here.
Also, you can find homestays and guesthouses in Samsing. You can book them over the phone or face to face. Before you go there I will suggest you speak with one of them at least once. It will cost around 1200-1500 per day to stay there depending upon the season.
You will get all kinds of benefits in homestays. You will find hot water, breakfast, lunch, and a clean bathroom. At the same time, you will get the hospitality and love of the people there.
Some Popular Homestay of Samsing:
1. Humro Home Samsing Homestay (+1800-123-3759/ 9733065900 / 9733071716 / 9733069690)
This accommodation is located on the main road going from Samsing garden towards Samsing Suntalekhola. About a km, before you reach Suntalekhola you will see this accommodation on your right.
They offer sumptuous, hygienic food hear. Please do not expect a hotel-like food arrangement here. Last-moment requests on the spot may not be served as the nearest market is at Mateli about 12 km away, even though remains open only during specific hours and days.
Their Kolkata Branch office is at
67, Jatin Das Road
Kolkata, West Bengal 700029
Phone: 9836863082 / 9163372215
2. Mayjhor Homestay Samsing (9831311606 / 9830381306)
Per day per person @ 1500/- (both food and lodging included).
Meals include Morning tea, breakfast, lunch, evening tea, snacks, and dinner.
3. Trishna Lodge (9830252843)
4. Templa Inn (9674900101)
Cost To Travel Samsing
- From NJP- From NJP you can reach Samsing in three ways.
i) You can rent a private car from Siliguri to Samsing. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
ii) If you have a low budget then you can go by bus. In that case, your cost will be reduced a lot. In this case, you need to reach Siliguri first. From there you can take the bus up to Samsing. However, there are only 2 buses available every day. The fare will be around Rs.65 – Rs.75, and frequent buses from Malbazar are also available to Samsing.
iii) You can reach New Mal Junction first. From there you can book a car to reach Samsing.
- From Bagdogra:
You can reach Samsing from Bagdogra same as From NJP. You can rent a private car from Bagdogra also. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 2500-3000 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
It will cost you around 1200-1500 per day to stay in Homestay. These fares may vary depending on the season.
Best Time To Visit Samsing
One can experience the beauty of Samsing throughout the year. But if you want to witness the Khasmahal glazed with the orange hue the best time to visit Samsing is during October and March.
Things to Carry While Travelling To Samsing
- A travel bag.
- A torch.
- A slipper.
- Travel shoes
- Plastic for keeping wet things.
- Dry food as needed
- Soap paper
- clothes according to weather.
- Necessary Medicines.
- Camera For Taking pictures of Breathtaking beauty.
Important Information About Samsing
- Although homestays serve plenty of food, you can keep dry food like cakes and biscuits with you.
- Credit or debit card payments cannot be made at most homestays, so keep enough cash with you.
- It is better to keep the necessary medicines with you but if you feel ill suddenly, the doctor is available there.
- Mobile Network is available there.
- Carry at least one ID proof with you.
- If you are going there in the peak season it is recommended to book your accommodation well in advance.
Samsing Tour Plan
2 Night 3 Day Samsing Tour:
Explore destinations like Samsing, Suntalekhola, Jhalong, Bindu, Paren, etc
3 Night 4 Day Samsing Jaldapara Tour:
Explore offbeat places like Jhalong, Bindu, Samsing, Suntalekhola, and Rocky Island, and witness the wildlife of Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary.
4 Nights 4 Days Samsing Jaldapara Tour:
In this plan, you can explore places like Suntalekhola, Rocky Island, Jaldapara National Park, Buxa, Jayanti, Jhalong, Bindu, Jaldhaka, Paren, Samsing, and Jaldapara.
Frequently Asked Question About Samsing
What is the best time to see the Oranges on Samsing Trip?
October to March is the best time to experience the beauty of the orange garden in Samsing.
Can we watch Bird during Samsing Trip?
Yes, you can see various species of birds there. Some of the major bird species you will find here include Ashy Bulbul, Slaty Backed Forktail, Orange-bellied Leafbird, Tailed Drongo, Maroon Oriole, Long-tailed Sibia, and many more.
Is there any option for Trekking in Samsing?
Yes, there are 3-4 trekking routes available in Samsing. You can enjoy them easily.
Is any shared car available from NJP to Samsing?
Buses are available from Siliguri to Samsing.
What is Samsing famous for?
Samsing is famous for its Tea garden, Trekking trails, scenic beauty, orange gardens, and many more attractions.
What is the distance between New Mal Junction and Samsing?
Samsing is around 20 Km away from New Mal Junction.
What is the distance between Siliguri and Samsing?
Samsing is just 82 km away from Siliguri.
What is the best time to visit Samsing?
New Mal Junction is the closest railway station of Samsing. One can reach New Mal Junction first. From there, Samsung is 30 km via Meteli. You can book any car and reach Samsing.
Samsing, 82 km from Siliguri, is located approximately 3000 feet above sea level. It is very quiet and away from the city noise, dust and smog. An ideal place to enjoy the beauty of nature in peace. You can enjoy the beauty of tea gardens here. It is a great tourist spot for those who love bird watching.
If you want to spend your weekend in a peaceful and quiet place, Samsing is one of the best options for you. You can explore other offbeat places of West Bengal also. Read more from here.
Special Note: Don’t leave dirt and plastic in the mountains. Keep the mountains clean by thinking of the people living in the mountains and the mountain-loving people like you and me so that they can travel in the mountains for the next few thousand years. Remember that whatever you give to the environment you will get back one day.
If you like this writing and information then bookmark this blog and if you want you can follow us on Facebook and Instagram. You can also keep the push notification of this website on so you will get notifications on mobile when new posts come.
If you have any comments on this article, please let me know. If you want, you can also send me any necessary message through this form. Stay well. Thanks so much for reading this post.