Sillery Gaon Tour – Hidden Treasure of West Bengal
At a distance of 33 km from Kalimpong, it is a small hilly town surrounded by forest at an altitude of about 6000 feet. The huge Kanchenjunga in front and the pine forest — in a word, it is the identity of Sillery Gaon. Many people also call it ‘Mini Darjeeling’.
Although a tourist-favorite place, Silarigaon is very quiet. The river Reshi flows by the side of the village. Sikkim is on the other side of the river. Despite the cultivation, the tourism economy has become important in Silarigaon for several years. There have been many homestays.
Why To Go Sillery Gaon?
- Many people may wonder, why go there instead of Darjeeling? Because the weather here is a bit different. White clouds are always seen floating in the blue sky. The snow-capped peaks of Kanchenjunga, Kabru, Jumlahari, etc. are daily companions.
- The sunlight falls on Silarigaon and creates a golden glow. You can walk along the hilly path to Ramite Viewpoint. You will see how the Teesta is flowing close to the mountain! If you stand here, it will feel as if you are hanging in a ditch. It will be a great experience for you.
How to Reach Sillery Gaon?
- By Train: Lots of trains going from Sealdah to New Jalpaiguri. Some of the special ones are Darjeeling Mail, North Bengal Express, New Jalpaiguri Express, Padatik Express, and Kanchanakanya Express. All these trains leave at night and arrive the next morning. Those who want to go in the morning can catch the Kanchenjunga Express, it arrives in the evening.
NJP to SilleryGaon Distance 93.1 Km. From the stations, you can book a private car which takes about 3.5-4 hours to reach depending on the road condition.
For your Information:
Darjeeling to SilleryGaon distance 72.5 Km. It will take 2.5-3 hours from Darjeeling to Sillery Gaon by car.
Kalimpong to SilleryGaon Distance 23km. It will take about 45 Minutes from Kalimpong to Sillery Gaon by car.
- By Flight: To reach Sillery Gaon by flight, you can board a flight to Bagdogra Airport (Bagdogra to SilleryGaon Distance 97.3 Km). You can rent a car from Bagdogra to Sillery Gaon.
- By Shared Car: You can get shared jeeps from NJP or Siliguri to Kalimpong. From there you can take another shared jeep towards Pedong. About 3kms before Pedong and 500m after passing through the place ‘Bish Mile’, there is a narrow bumpy road that goes towards Sillery Gaon. From this point, the distance to Sillery Gaon is 4.7km.
Also, one can take a shared taxi from NJP to Pedong. From Pedong it is a 30mins journey toward Sillery Gaon.
Things To Do in Sillery Gaon
- The main attraction here is Kanchenjunga. Kanchenjunga can be seen all over Sillery Gaon. You can enjoy the sunrise and sunset over Kanchenjunga through the windows of the homestay. So it is an ideal place for people who love Kanchenjunga.
- Munsong Jalsa Bungalow: Jalsa Bungalow was built during the English period. It is surrounded by a cinchona orchard. From here you can enjoy the magnificent view of the river Teesta.
- Teesta View Point: It is located ten minutes away from Jalsa Bungalow. From this viewpoint, on the top of the hill, you can see many bends of the river Teesta.
- Ramitey viewpoint: Ramitey viewpoint is a famous viewpoint, and is accessible by vehicles or by a 3 km trekking from Sillerygaon. It is located at an altitude of 6,400ft. You can experience the wide view of hills and rivers from here. If the sky is clear, you will see a raft of white clouds moving from mountain to mountain.
- Hanuman Mandir: This Hanuman temple is located a short distance from Sillery Gaon. You have to cross many stairs to reach this temple. You will find a big Hanuman statue here. Older people or those who have knee problems should avoid this place. From here, you can get a panoramic view of Kalimpong.
- Silent Valley is another beautiful place to visit from Sillery Gaon. It is located 3kms from Sillery Gaon. You can go there by vehicle. It will take about 10-15 minutes to reach there. This place is quiet and serene. That’s why its name is Silent Valley.
- From here you can visit Cross Hill near Rishi Road and Sillery Gaon. It was built in 182 by Father Augustine. Many religious leaders came to Tibet to preach Christianity. They went to different parts of Tibet to preach Christianity but never returned. Father Augustine believed that those holy people would one day return and made the cross-shaped statue of Jesus facing Tibet so that they could recognize the region.
Hiking routes from Sillery Gaon
There are 3-4 hiking routes available from Sillery Gaon. Some of them are-
i) Ramitey Dara Viewpoint: It is just 2-3 km away from Sillery Gaon. It is an ideal place for trekking. From here, you can see the 14 bends of Teesta and even its confluence with Reshi river.
ii) Tinchuley View Point / Tinchuley Top: It is a 30-minute uphill trek from Sillery Gaon. You can experience a wide range of Himalayan peaks from here. And if you found a clear sky, you can also experience the Jelepla Pass and the famous Nathula Pass at a distance.
iii) Damsung Fort: It is situated about 3kms from Sillery Gaon. This fort was built by the Lepcha King Gyabo Achyok in 1690 to defend against attacks from the Bhutias. It is the only fort in the entire Darjeeling district. The fort was later used to defend against attacks from the British East India Company. The fort is in ruins today where tourists can only see the ruins of a stable where horses used to drink water.
Where to Stay in Sillery Gaon?
You can find several homestays and guesthouses in Sillery Gaon. You can book them over the phone or face to face. Before you go there I will suggest you speak with one of them at least once.
Sillery Gaon homestay Cost: It will cost around 1200-1500 per day to stay there depending upon the season.
You will get all kinds of benefits in homestays. You will find hot water, breakfast, lunch, and a clean bathroom. At the same time, you will get the hospitality and love of the people there. Below, I am sharing some Sillery Gaon Homestay Contact No here for your reference.
Sillery Gaon Homestay List:
1. Nirmala Village Resort Sillery Gaon (9635005318 / 9933922859)
Dilip Tamang and his family is the owner of this Resort. It was the first homestay at Sillery Gaon and started its journey in 2009. The cottages are very nice looking. This resort has a total of 12 double rooms which include 2 deluxe, 4 semi-deluxe, and 6 standard rooms. You will get all meals and snacks with room rent.
2. The Sillery Sojourn Homestay Sillery Gaon (9903295920 / 8902491395)
3. Sillery Gaon Retreat (9830355223 / 9874494503 / 9051801020)
4. The Sillery Sojourn (99032 95920)
5. Sumishka Homestay at Sillery Gaon (+91 83485 33235/+91 80168 51836)
6. Humro Home Sillery Gaon Homestay (097330 65900)
7. Heaven Valley Homestay Sillery Gaon (087680 11306)
8. Sanket Homestay Sillery Gaon
9. Himalayan Homestay Sillery Gaon
Cost To Travel Sillery Gaon
- NJP to Sillery Gaon Car Fare- From NJP you can reach Sillery Gaon in two ways.
i) You can rent a private car from NJP to Sillery Gaon. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 3000-3500 rupees for a small vehicle and 3500-4000 for a large vehicle. These fares may vary depending on the season.
ii) If you have a low budget then you can go to a share jeep. In that case, your cost will be reduced a lot. In this case, you need to reach Kalimpong first and then another one from there up to Sillery Gaon. From Siliguri To Kalimpong, the shared car cost will be Rs. 200-225 per person. From there you need to take a shared car up to Algara which will cost Rs.60. From Algara you can hire a small car which will cost you around Rs.700.
You can also go to Sillery Gaon from Kalimpong Directly. It will cost you around Rs.1000-1200 for a small vehicle and Rs.1200-1500 for a large vehicle.
- From Bagdogra:
You can reach SilleryGaon from Bagdogra same as From NJP. You can rent a private car from Bagdogra also. In that case, your estimated cost will be around 3500-4500 rupees. These fares may vary depending on the season.
It will cost you around 1200-1500 per day to stay in Homestay. These fares may vary depending on the season.
Best Time To Visit Sillery Gaon
March to June and October to November:
It is the best time to visit Sillery Gaon. You can experience the best weather and lovely views of the mountains during these months.
Winters (December to February): Winters are quite cold and chilly due to the high altitude. But to catch an unhindered view of Mt Kanchenjunga winter season October to December is the best time to visit Sillery Gaon.
Rainy Season: Try to avoid the monsoon season (June – September). Trails won’t be suitable for treks or walk this season. Also, the sky remains covered with clouds this time. You may also face Leeches problems during monsoon.
Things to Carry While Travelling To Sillery Gaon
- A travel bag.
- A torch.
- A slipper.
- Travel shoes
- Plastic for keeping wet things.
- Dry food as needed
- Soap paper
- clothes according to weather.
- Necessary Medicines.
- Camera For Taking pictures of Breathtaking beauty.
Important Information About Sillery Gaon
- Although homestays serve plenty of food, you can keep dry food like cakes and biscuits with you.
- Credit or debit card payments cannot be made at most homestays, so keep enough cash with you.
- It is better to keep the necessary medicines with you but if you feel ill suddenly, the doctor is available there.
- Mobile Network is available there.
- Carry at least one ID proof with you.
- If you are going on a trail, please go with a proper guide.
- Winter is very cold here. So remember to carry all your winter wear.
- Before you reach there, please search on google about Sillery Gaon weather and temperature in Sillery Gaon for safety reasons.
Suggested Tour Plan For Sillery Gaon
2 Nights – 3 Days Tour Plan For Sillery Gaon:
Arrival at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus (Junction) and transfer to Sillerygaon. After lunch visits Ramitey viewpoint. Overnight at Sillery Gaon.
Day 2: After breakfast visit Damsang fort (3km Trek), Silent Valley, and Tinchuley viewpoint. Overnight at Sillery Gaon.
Day 3: After breakfast transfer to NJP/ Bagdogra Via Deolo & Pine View Nursery at Kalimpong.
3 Nights – 4 Days Tour Plan For Sillery Gaon:
Arrive at New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) / Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / Tenzing Norgay Bus Terminus (Junction) and transfer to Sillerygaon. After lunch visit Ramitey View point. Overnight at SilleryGaon.
Day 2: After breakfast Transfer to Reshikhola. Khola means “River”- After lunch enjoys the beauty of River Reshi & Adjacent Forest. Overnight at Reshi Khola.
Day 3: After breakfast Transfer to Ariter, there is a beautiful lake top of the Hills. It’s called “Lampokhri “, – “Pokhri “ means “Pond”. Enjoy the beauty of Lampokhri. Then Visit the beautiful viewpoint called Mankhim Dara or Mankhim View point. Overnight at Ariter.
Day 4: After breakfast transfer to NJP/ Bagdogra Via Deolo & Pine View Nursery at Kalimpong.
Frequently Asked Question About Sillery Gaon
Can we watch Bird during the Sillery Gaon Trip?
Yes, you can see various species of birds in SilleryGaon.
Is there any option for Hiking in Sillery Gaon?
Yes, there are 2-3 hiking routes available in Sillery Gaon. You can enjoy them easily.
Is Mt. Kanchenjunga visible from Sillery Gaon?
Yes, you can enjoy the beautiful view of Kanchenjunga from Sillery Gaon.
Is any shared car available from NJP to Sillery Gaon?
Shared taxis/Jeeps are available from Siliguri to Kalimpong. You can take a shared jeep up to Kalimpong and then another one from there up to Sillery Gaon.
How to reach Sillery Gaon from NJP?
From Siliguri / NJP/ Bagdogra you can book any private car. It will take 3.5 hours to 4 hours to reach SilleryGaon depending upon the road condition.
What is Sillery Gaon famous for?
Sillery Gaon is famous for its Quiet environment, and amazing view of Kanchenjunga and other peaks of the Himalayas.
What is the distance between Darjeeling and Sillery Gaon?
Sillery Gaon is just 13.8km away from Darjeeling.
What is the distance between NJP and Sillery Gaon?
Sillery Gaon is just 93.1 km away from NJP.
What is the best time to visit Sillery Gaon?
October to April is the best time to visit Sillery Gaon. Winters are quite cold and chilly due to the high altitude. But you can witness the magnificent view of the Kanchenjunga and Himalayan range this time.
What is the distance between Kalimpong and Sillery Gaon?
Sillery Gaon is just 23 km away from Kalimpong.
Where is Sillery Gaon?
Sillery Gaon is a small hilly town at a distance of 33 km from Kalimpong, surrounded by forest at an altitude of about 6000 feet.
Silarigaon is a little-known address in the Darjeeling district at an altitude of 6,000 feet. On a sunny day, a raft of white clouds floats in the blue sky. Ice-covered peaks like Kanchenjunga, Kabru, Jumlahari, etc. can be seen here.
If you are planning a weekend trip with your close ones and want to spend the weekend in a quiet place then this place is the best option for you.
Special Note: Don’t leave dirt and plastic in the mountains. Keep the mountains clean by thinking of the people living in the mountains and the mountain-loving people like you and me so that they can travel in the mountains for the next few thousand years. Remember that whatever you give to the environment you will get back one day.
If you like this writing and information then bookmark this blog and if you want you can follow us on Facebook and Instagram. You can also keep the push notification of this website on so you will get notifications on mobile when new posts come.
If you have any comments on this article, please let me know. If you want, you can also send me any necessary message through this form. Stay well. Thanks so much for reading this post.